I'm absurdly obsessive about image quality, and ALL of the current options
make me wince (except when their artifacts and problems are part of the
aesthetic of a piece), but I have to say h.264, for me, was a gigantic step
up from 3ivx (which had been my pick for best quality), which in turn did
indeed produce much better mpeg4 and at smaller file sizes than apple's
mpeg4 codec. But in my tests and use, (no, I haven't kept stuff from the
initial tests I did, sorry), artifacts were MUCH less of a problem in h.264,
which was the first temporal codec that seemed to cure most of the horrible
blockiness that even bugs me when I watch a DVD. It does, however, only work
well with progressive, field-blended or deinterlaced sources, so I have to
do more prep with it.

I also found the x264 flavor of it used by mpeg streamclip and ffmpegx
produces better looking video at small file sizes (at least using multipass)
than quicktime's h.264, though you have to be careful when you tweak
everything to stay compatibnle with ipods, appletv. etc. (there is an
excellent overview of all the h.264 levels and compatibility issues on
wikipedia),. Had I been stuck with quicktime for web-destined h.264, I'd
have given up due to the encoding time alone.

There is, sadly, no way around the other issues Andrew mentions: some older
machines choke on decoding h.264, and it starts to look really bad when the
try to play it back. For me, the high quality on machines that can handle it
is just too seductive, so I use it anyway, though I just moved Trace Garden
to blip so that it can have a flash version for other folks, and will be
moving all of my other vlogs and video stuff there shortly as well.

I'm going to try the new 3ivx when I get back home, though. I'd be thrilled
if the quality is now comparable to h.264, because having to use flash for
the "widely viewable" versions of stuff.... yuk yuk, yuk yuk yuk..(though
kudos to blip - their flash encoding is LIGHT years better than
YouTube/LiveVideo/etc.)

Brook

Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art
www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here

TRACE GARDEN now viewable in flash on Blip!
http://tracegarden.blip.tv