Thanks for your thoughts, interesting. Id guess the only way 3ivx or
other mpeg4 could be better than h264 in terms of quality, is if you
enable options that go way beyond simple profile mpeg4, and so break
quicktime & ipod etc compatibility. Ive just had a brief go with 3ivx
5 and have encountered an issue or 2, it wants to create avi's and
didnt offer aac audio, so I had to reload the resulting avi into
quicktime, and export as mpeg4 with video set to pass-through, and
audio set to AAC-LC. Even then Ive managed to get an option wrong
which makes it incompatible with quicktime, resulting file works ok in
VLC though.

Its certainly important to highlight the fact that quicktimes encoding
isnt the best available. Same could also be said for playback, eg some
higher-res h264 that doesnt play at full framerate on my G5 in
quicktime, plays much better in VLC or other player.

Several years ago when h264 vs mpeg4 was a hotter topic here, I meant
to work out what was the slowest machine that could handle 320x240 (or
equivalent widescreen res) h264 files actually was. Because so many
times, the issue of h264 playback performance is mixed in with higher
resolution issues. The example that Andrew Baron has kindly provided
today, is more of the same. Sure, the file struggles to play at full
framerate on a G5, I just tried it myself, but this is a 1280x720
resolution video we are talking about. Does the same res & bitrate
mpeg4 file playback much better?

See Im not disagreeing that h264 does take more power to decode, I
just question quite how much of an issue it is for most people and
320x240 footage. What is the minimum spec computer that people hope
their videos will run with anyway? Ive got a celeron 800 here that I
will try shortly, I seem to remember G4 iMac could do 320x240 h264 ok,
 but I'll have to retest sometime to be sure.

Also need to test how much difference making stuff ipod compatible,
and thus baseline rather than main profile h264, makes to processor
requirements for playback. Oh I dunno, this issue just seems even
sillier when we consider how many people are using 15fps for their
320x240 footage, ok this may make playback more consistent on slower
machines, but also consistently unsmooth playback for all.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Brook Hinton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm absurdly obsessive about image quality, and ALL of the current
options
> make me wince (except when their artifacts and problems are part of the
> aesthetic of a piece), but I have to say h.264, for me, was a
gigantic step
> up from 3ivx (which had been my pick for best quality), which in
turn did
> indeed produce much better mpeg4 and at smaller file sizes than apple's
> mpeg4 codec. But in my tests and use, (no, I haven't kept stuff from the
> initial tests I did, sorry), artifacts were MUCH less of a problem
in h.264,
> which was the first temporal codec that seemed to cure most of the
horrible
> blockiness that even bugs me when I watch a DVD. It does, however,
only work
> well with progressive, field-blended or deinterlaced sources, so I
have to
> do more prep with it.
>
> I also found the x264 flavor of it used by mpeg streamclip and ffmpegx
> produces better looking video at small file sizes (at least using
multipass)
> than quicktime's h.264, though you have to be careful when you tweak
> everything to stay compatibnle with ipods, appletv. etc. (there is an
> excellent overview of all the h.264 levels and compatibility issues on
> wikipedia),. Had I been stuck with quicktime for web-destined h.264, I'd
> have given up due to the encoding time alone.
>
> There is, sadly, no way around the other issues Andrew mentions:
some older
> machines choke on decoding h.264, and it starts to look really bad
when the
> try to play it back. For me, the high quality on machines that can
handle it
> is just too seductive, so I use it anyway, though I just moved Trace
Garden