I find editing .mp4 in Final Cut to be problematic.  I hear that the
new FCP allows you to edit mp4 files right in the timeline without
all the rendering.

I've tried MPEG Steamclip in the past with varied success.

Most times I just render.

If it's not a complicated edit, and I'm doing it myself without
client review, I use iMovie that is able to edit mp4 natively without
all the rendering...

--Steve