Guys,

We've been trying to improve our sound setup, but to no avail.  I'm
mildly desperate for advice.

Most of the time, we've been using a Shure handheld microphone.  Sounds
great, but looks stupid unless you're in the field.  So, we tried to
upgrade.  We bought an SE Electronics SE1A condenser microphone, boom,
and a Peavey PV-6 mixer to provide the condenser mic its phantom power.
We hook everything up, and we check the headphone out (after adapting
the 1/4" stereo plug to 1/8"), and it sounds beautiful.  Love it.  Can't
wait to use it.  So, we run one of the outputs to the camera (again,
this requires a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter).  Even with the gain turned all
the way down, there's a constant audible hiss in the background.  It
doesn't matter if everything on the mixer is off and all the inputs are
unplugged.  It also doesn't matter if we run the headphone (stereo) out
to the camera or if we run one of the mono channels to the camera.  The
noise floor is there, it's just a question of how many ears we hear it in.

So, what gives?  Why the hiss and noise floor when we run it to the
camera, but not when we listen in on the headphones directly?  Is there
a way to remedy this, or did I get an expensive pile of junk for my
birthday?

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime