> So legally, you aren't a journalist unless you're a commercial journalist,
>  huh?  Funny, other 'professions' like medicine and the law aren't tied to
>  such mercenary considerations.

im not sure i read it that way.
i think they define it as someone who regularly reports on something,
has a track record of reporting.
This is basically what a blogger can be if they are dedicated to a topic.

I do agree that it's trubling to read "for financial gain or livelihood".
does this mean you must get paid by a commercial company?
can you just get donations from the community?
can you have a day job and blog at night?

Jay