Is this stuff working on iphone/ipod touch, or going further and being
optimised as per
apple's quidelines?

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/devcenter/designingcontent.html#embed_movies_in_
webpages

I think with all or part of the above, its possible to imporve the experience
for users of
these devices, eliminating an extra click, and having the thumbnail show
instead of a grey
box.

Apple also go further with their guidelines, in terms of recommending the use
of reference
movies to offer multiple versions of the video, at different bitrates, to cater
for iphone
edge, iphone wifi & desktop users:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/QT7-
2_Update_Guide/NewFeaturesChangesEnhancements/chapter_2_section_4.html

So theyve made such things easier in quicktime since version 7.2, but I suspect
this is still
too much of a change & extra hassle in peoples workflows for many to have
bothered with
it. Both desktop & iphone/ipodtouch over wifi (or offline podcast itunes) users
are going to
be fairly well catered for with peoples existing format choices that are
generally
<800kbits, its only really people using the edge network that are suffering as
a result of
people not offering very low bitrate video. But only a minority of vlogs ever
catered to
other mobile phone formats, so I'll be intregued whether the iphone popularity
makes any
difference. Not that the iphone has been immensly popular here in the UK yet,
it has not
sold as wella s the hype suggested, from the peope Ive spoken too the
price/contract is
wrong, and brits have embraced the quality cameras on mobile phones more than
the idea
of surfing the web or watching video on them, so far. Im interested in how many
ipod
touch's get sold too, thats the option I went for and love the interface and
how well Apple
have integrated video playback into the browser. Hence the original point of
this email, as
the experience is even nicer when the videos are embedded in the way Apple
recommends.

Anyways, Im aware that the primary goal of your code and forthcoming Drupal
lovelinesswas probably not iphone support, but if you do tune it to work nicely
with ipod
touches and iphones I think it would be more than a small bonus, especially as
flash has
become so dominant for a lot of desktop in-browser video stuff, Apple's range
of
hardware providing a compelling reason to still offer that format. Its been a
little while
since I read the apple developer guides for this stuff, but Im pretty sure your
code will be
able to detect if the device is an iphone or ipod touch, and offer slightly
different
embedding method if true? Im just getting back into Drupal so if you dont have
time or
interest in these optimisations, I would love to have a go at modifying your
drupal plugin
accordingly, once its released.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

PS. Im guessing that in the future once the Flash H.264 stuff goes non-beta and
gets
installed a lot, for many vloggers the ideal plugin may offer a h264 file
embedded in a
flash file for widest desktop compatibility, and a non-flash version that uses
the same
h264 video file, but is optimised for devices such as the iphone etc. Then as
video tags
become a part of HTML standard and get adopted by different browsers, this may
start to
replace the flash option, though its far from certain.