I'm not surprised with this story one bit. I had a similar experience with a
large hosting company I'm a partner of. I did a very nice commercial for
them evangelizing about their product, yet, when the PR team saw it they
made me pull it down and told me I couldn't use it.

Why? Because they're scared. Scared of losing control of their brand. Scared
that legal is going to have them fired for allowing a potential outside
brand message.

In my case, also, the marketing team of the hosting company HATED the fact I
was marketing their product better than them. Ego.

PR and marketing departments are scared you know what about user generated
content.

Jim