Allow me to amend the coffee shop analogy a little, to make it more
accurately reflect the comcast/net neutrality issue

Let's call the independent coffee makers comcastbucks, and the super market
govmart. First, Comcastbucks did not just build a coffee shop, they built an
entire coffee communication infrastructure that is required for anyone to
make coffee. In fact, they got a lot of financial support from govmart,
since govmart figures, once an infrastructure is in place, then other coffee
companies can use it too; and these competitors won't have to keep
rebuilding the infrastructure over and over and the market will make the
coffee services better due to increased competition. Comcastbucks still gets
to be the default coffee that is served at govmart. This is consistent with
very old practices in the US (and the world) called coffee carriage, which
everyone agree is the best thing for consumers and competition, while at the
same time rewarding the coffee company who builds the infrastructure by
allowing them to be the default coffee served.

Of course, Comcastbucks agrees to all this, since they're getting a pretty
sweet deal, with so much of their costs covered by the super market, and
they get to be the default coffee. In fact, it's misleading to even say that
comcastbucks owns the infrastructure, since the super market paid for so
much of it. Comcastbucks even agrees to build new and better coffee
infrastructures all over so that, even under served coffee communities will
now be able to get good coffee.

After a while Comcastbucks figures that they want more, and they don't
really like the whole competition thing, and they certainly don't want to
have to build any more infrastructure, so they argue that they are selling
data coffee, not communication coffee and, for some reason, this obscure
distinction allows them to take advantage of a loop hole in the coffee
carriage practices, so they no longer have to adhere to them. So they can
sell their coffee for whatever price they want, to whoever they want, and
they can even sell the coffee for different prices to different people, and
not sell any coffee at all to some.

I think this is a little more accurate analogy.

... Richard

Richard
http://richardhhall.org
Shows