I encountered this just the other day.

In preparing for a project, I talked to someone bringing a second
camera, who told me they were going to shoot on tape.  I knew how long
the final video was going to be, so I was counting on, let's say, four
times that much space for the raw footage to take up on my MacBook Pro
internal drive.

Unfortunately, even though the video looked sweet from the camera they
brought, the footage was recorded to SD card and I had to use Log &
Transfer to import it into FCP6.  Like Rupert mentions, this resulted
in INSANELY LARGE file sizes that I wasn't prepared for, which were
also a BEAST to edit with, as far as not wanting to play smoothly in
my timeline on a 2.33 GHz Core Duo MBP with 2 gig of ram.

Fortunately for me, I was able to borrow an external drive at the
client site, because the transferred AVCHD had taken up all the space
I had allotted for DV or HDV footage.

Bill Cammack
http://BillCammack.com

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders/Hi-Def-Camcorders/model.HDC-HS9_11002_7000000000000005702