--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DVD-R uses the same MPEG-2 audio format (MPA) that a regular DVD will
> use. It's similar to MP3, but not exactly the same.
>
> The first thing to check is any quality settings on the camera. Since
> the DVD-R produces a compressed video, you want to shoot at the highest
> quality (i.e. shortest record time setting) to reduce the suck you take
> on with the first compression in the camera. There may even be an audio
> quality setting that's independent of the video quality setting.
>
> Next check what you're compressing to ... what's the bitrate on the
> resulting file? Higher is better.
>
> If that doesn't work and you have to have the best audio quality ...
> 1. Switch to a DV tape camera (shoot 16-but uncompressed stereo)
> 2. Record audio on a separate device, like a Zoom H2 or Zoom H4, then
> sync the audio in editing.
>
> duckpondpotter wrote:
> > I'm suffering a drastic drop in audio quality when I convert my
> > movies.  I'm shooting onto dvd-r discs. I thought that the camera
> > saved the audio onto an already compressed mp3 file, so I don't
> > understand why the audio would have such a drop in quality during the
> > video compression process.   If any anybody has a suggestion for
> > getting my audio through the conversion process more successfully I'd
> > greatly appreciate it.  We host a summer concert series that we film,
> > and the quality of the audio is pretty critical.  Thanks.
> >
> > Nick Friedman
> > The Duckpond Pottery
> > www.myspace.com/duckpondatdusk
> > Brevard, North Carolina
> --
> Brian Richardson
>   - http://siliconchef.com
>   - http://dragoncontv.com
>   - http://whatthecast.com
>   - http://www.3chip.com

Brian,

Thanks for the advice on my audio situation.  The last show I recorded
 on Sony Minidisc, so I'll try using that audio instead of the one
that the camera recorded.  Those Zoom recorders look very cool.....AND
CHEAP!!!  I might have to spring for one of those. Do you have any
recommendations for syncing a separate audio track.  Do I just
manually eyeball the sync on my editor or is there a way to
automatically sync it while shooting?  Thanks again for your help.
Just to illuminate my problem here is a clip from our last show:

  http://duckpondpotter.blip.tv/#951174

Nick