--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The discussion about YouTube got me thinking.  I did a little tour of
> some video sharing sites.
>
> I went to http://office.wreckandsalvage.com/ where they have a list
> of links to all the video sharing sites they upload to.
>
> A bunch of them are now defunct.  All the predictable ones, like
> Grouper/Crackle, Studio6 and Dabble.  Sharkle is still holding on
> somehow.
>
> I was amazed at how dull they all are.  How limited the extra number
> of views they offer, how limited their sense of community & networking.
>
> Above all, I was struck by the incredibly limited range of videos on
> most of these sites.  Blip is really onto something by focussing on
> Shows in the way that it does now.  At least it's not all bikini
> models and sport clips.
>
> I wondered what the point of them all was.  There's no way that I'm
> going to waste my time uploading videos to any of them, for the sake
> of a few dozen views by people who don't care.
>
> It seems to me that the only reason these sites would interest
> videobloggers & video artists is if they get videos in front of
> likeminded people with whom they can connect and communicate.
>
> So perhaps it's an ability to foster community that will make the
> difference between success and failure for these sites.   I heard
> Vimeo has good community.  And Viddler?  Is that right?  What about
> Daily Motion?
>
> Any others?  Does anyone else have any good experiences on any other
> video sharing sites?
>
> Rupert
> http://twittervlog.tv/
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog

I've seen that Vimeo has some focused groups, like the HV20 group or
Vimeo HD or one specifically focused on comedy.  Because of that, they
have people that subscribe to certain topics or filmmakers and watch
the videos and comment.  So that ends up being some decent
communities, even though it's still inside a "walled garden" to a
degree, because it's 'only' the people inside Vimeo AND inside that
particular group.

What you're talking about is the reason that I post my videos to blip.
 I stick to self-promotion and iTunes... not that I have a ton of
hits, haha.  The point is that the extra locations weren't useful to
me, for the reasons you stated.

Basically, they tend to depend on some gimmick to make people want to
post there, but in the long run, there's no actual traction.  The
traction comes from people bookmarking and RSSing your site, using the
videos as a back end, so it really doesn't matter where the videos are
parked, and you're not seeing much return from the community aspect of
the sites as a "destination".

Bill Cammack
http://billcammack.com