Well... aha!  Tying into the other thread about Macs versus PCs...

If you're shooting on a Xacti (or any other camera or phone which
stores video as MP4 files on memory cards), then in my opinion you're
better off cutting on a PC with Sony Vegas.  Vegas (which a lot
cheaper than FCP but just as good for 90% of jobs) will take your
files AS THEY ARE, with no importing or conversion necessary.  This
can save HOURS.  As you say, Neil, if you have three hours of
footage, then you need around three hours for conversion.  WTF.  All
because Apple can't make FCP work with MP4 properly.

But that's not all.  When you convert your MP4 files for use in FCP,
after you've waited all that time, you'll find that their image
quality may be impaired by the conversion from 640x480 to a .dv
file.  Particularly a NTSC .dv file, which has a different ratio.

Vegas cuts the files *as they are* - it will match the sequence
settings to the clip, not vice versa.  For people shooting on Xactis
or little digital point-and-shoot cameras or mobile phones, Vegas is,
in my opinion, a much more user-friendly experience.  Shoot, cut, save.

I say this as a 8-9 year user of FCP and a life-long Mac user.  Apple
have dropped the ball in the important area of non-DV cameras and
amateur video.  And don't get me started on the new iMovie.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv/