Lauren:

So let me understand? You have a 4:3 delivery of 16:9 footage (which
shows bars on top and bottom) and within it there is 4:3 footage being
stretched to 16:9?

OK, basically it's like this...They need to go into the motion tab (of
the clip) in FCP and change the dimensions of the 4:3 footage itself
to make it look "pillar bars" in the 16:9 frame. First they should
check to see, if for some reason, the 4:3 footage had the option of
"anamorphic" checked in the browser by accident. Sometimes this
happens and un-checking this is the answer for it. Otherwise they will
have to manually change the dimensions in the motion tab of the clip
itself!

I added a 4:3 clip into my 16:9 timeline and made that issue happen
and here's what I got...

"Anamorphic" (in Browser) checked
The clips motion tab settings are:
Basic Motion
     Scale is 112.5%
Distort
      Upper Left  -320 -240
      Upper Right -320 -240
      Lower Right -320 -240
      Lower Left  -320 -240
   Aspect Ratio   -12.5

Within a 16:9 project the 4:3 clip settings SHOULD be:

"Anamorphic" (in Browser) UN-checked
The clips motion tab settings are:
Basic Motion
     Scale is 100%
Distort
      Upper Left  -320 -240
      Upper Right -320 -240
      Lower Right -320 -240
      Lower Left  -320 -240
   Aspect Ratio   -18.52

With this you should still have a 16:9 deliver on 4:3 (letterboxed)
and your 4:3 footage within the 16:9 frame should be "Pillar Boxed."

Please let me know if you didn't understand this. I can address this
in a live session of my newsletter!

That one was free...

_______________________
Michael J. Carrasquillo
Director | Filmmaker | Musician
michael [at] michaelcarrasquillo.com
MY SITECAST: http://www.michaelcarrasquillo.com
MY VIDEOCAST: http://www.thetrialsofbeingmike.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren Galanter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At work today one of our shows was delivered but the video is distorted.
> They did send it as 640x480, but it's letterboxed and the video *within*
> that is streched (too wide--like how video looks with square pixels at
> 720x480). Almost a double-letterboxing effect.
>
> I need to figure out what they did wrong to produce this (using FCP)
so I