1) I've only used a PAL HV20, but even with the US version, you don't
*have* to shoot in Progressive, do you?  It's just an option, isn't
it? (And one that Canon has failed to implement properly - with no
pulldown flags)  So surely you can just shoot in the normal 60i mode
without all this trouble and then add a film effect at the end?

2) I know the PAL version of the HV20 has a 25P option instead of 24P
and I'm pretty sure that with 25P you don't have to go through this
ridiculous circus.   I don't see any reason why anyone should care
whether they're shooting on PAL or NTSC for web use (or even for
broadcast - you can export any res/format you like) - so perhaps if
you *really* want to shoot in Progressive mode for whatever reason,
it's a good idea to buy a European HV20 or HV30 from somewhere like
Amazon.co.uk or Ebay.

Correct me if I'm wrong about  any of this.  I don't have a deep
technical knowledge.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv