You're absolutely right, Rupert... However, in Eric's situation, he
bought the HV20 to be a b-roll camera for his Canon XHA1.  The reason
he has to shoot 24p with the HV20 is to match the footage from the XHA1.

Otherwise, he'd be able to skip 24p and shoot 60i and not have to deal
with any extra conversion, time or drive space.

It's one of those pre-production decisions that kind of snowballs or
cascades.  Once you decide to shoot your shows in a certain way, you
have to get equipment that matches those particular specs or change
your show so that you can utilize the features that are common to your
new and old equipment.

Bill Cammack
http://billcammack.com