Couple of recent articles in the NYTimes about the progess of web shows made
by commercial networks.
Their point is that no one's made the "big hit" yet that will really excite
people to regularly start watching episodic shows online.
The networks are certainly trying hard though.

It's funny because we had this discussion here several years ago: Personal
videoblogging vs "shows"
Both are certainly valid, but different art forms.
all i know is that I hope the talent ive seen from people here get what they
deserve.
Wish it wasnt just about who you know.

http://bit.ly/3y5nFK

> To get to the point where viewers are choosing between "Two and a Half Men"
> on
> CBS<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/cbs_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org>and
>  a situation comedy on YouTube, the industry needs better distribution
> models, more professional backing and financing, and third-party measurement
> of traffic.
>
> The medium is missing something like a TV Guide for Web video — that
> magazine's owners and others are scrambling to become the industry standard.
> As a result, advertisers "sometimes have trouble navigating" the market, Mr.
> Scannell said. Similarly, the industry needs a reliable third-party arbiter
> of traffic analytics, something akin to Nielsen's ratings service for
> television. Not surprisingly, Nielsen and a plethora of other companies are
> striving to be that source, but an industry standard has not yet emerged.
>
> Then there is the living room problem.
>
> "We need the TVs in the living rooms to be integrated with the Internet,"
> said Ron Richards, the director of marketing and product management for
> Revision3, which calls itself a "television network for the Internet
> generation."

http://bit.ly/O5acB

Many "original" series on network Web sites are simply marketing tools for
television shows. And a look at a few current, more truly original Web
series with television connections demonstrates that if you're not packaging
"Big Brother" outtakes, it helps to have an independent revenue stream.
Nielsen isn't covering these things yet.

Jay

--
http://jaydedman.com
917 371 6790