Brook,  thanks for the pointers.  It's my understanding that Lacie &
G-Tech both format drives only for the Mac.

One problem has been happening.  The new G-Tech drive mounts when the
computer starts and then, at random unpredictable times, it drops off
and I get a "improper device removal" notice.  I guess that is the
same as unplugging it or turning if off without unmounting it.

To have it remount, I just turn it off and then back on again & it
remounts without any problem.

Maybe, my problem is related to iMovie since it frequently required
"relaunching" when I am creating a new file.  iMovie also opens more
slowly when you go into it.

There are no playback problems so long as I am in the two internal
drives with any of the videos playing.

Thanks again for your imput.

Randolfe Wicker
Hoboken,NJ