Great post.

On 29-Oct-08, at 8:42 AM, Drew wrote:

" What concerns me most of all is that we really need companies like
 > Revision3 to succeed. The independent content creator, and in turn,
 > independent production companies and studios, are really being
 > overshadowed by the efforts of the Hollywood studios and
entertainment
 > conglomerates. For example, look at the lineups at Digital Hollywood
 > and the NewTeeVee Live conferences -- there was a terrible lack of
 > independent content creators sitting on panels alongside people from
 > LucasFilm and Hulu."

This is a major concern I have too, maybe the biggest issue on the
table.

I don't really think of Revision3 as independent. They are "new",
like a new cable station,
but they have been trying to emulate an old model of TV and they are
owned now by
investors, so their #1 mission is likely to sell to a mainstream
entity. This is going to be an
uphill battle if rumors are true that this setback happened not due
to an economic
meltdown, but because they did not receive their next, anticipated
round of funding.

In case anyone didn't notice, the people who you tend to think of as
independent, like
Kevin Rose, for instance, has no control whatsoever over the company
and apparently no
say even. From his blog post, we can infer that he didn't even know
about the layoffs until
he was told by Jim, without discussion. Maybe Kevin should be more
involved, that might
help. Not sure.

Nevertheless, setting aside Rev3, what is starting to happen is that
Hulu and iTunes for
instance are becoming so popular, that they are starting to control
the programming for
the masses. ***Hulu is a place where MOST people are not allowed to
distribute.*** Same
old game as before. Because Hulu is becoming so popular, it's
starting to divide and this is
destructive not only for independents, but for the future of media in
general. Why cant
Hulu continue to curate their favorite content in the same way, but
allow anyone to
distribute on a back channel like iTunes? Probably because they
believe in a business
model that will not include open and democratic media. It's their
right to be closed, but
it's a decision that hurts the world for no gain and its gross.

When people say things like Hulu is for "professional" content while
YouTube is for "User
Generated Content", the world is suffering even more and becoming
further divided by a
stark line between the two.

The biggest threat of all is coming in tandem as Comcast started
capping internet plans.
Anyone who says this wont effect how much we can do online is naive.
Their first cap-
plan structure seems somewhat uninhibited right now but this doesn't
mean they wont
start tweaking the cap amounts once everyone accepts the reality in
due time. While its
easy to compete with CBS and Disney because now we use the same open
distribution
channels, it will be hard to compete with Verizon and Comcast, due to
the amount of
overhead needed to build out an alternative system. My hope is that a
teenager will
singlehandedly invent a new way to transfer data faster, without
fiber - one that may cost
almost nothing in terms of technological infrastructure. I'm
certainly not going to sit
around and wait for that to happen.

What's to be done? At least a few things, I think:

#1 Four years ago, I promoted the idea of saving up your coins for a
year, buckling down,
and investing in your own video company for a year. At the time, I
thought a year would
be enough but didn't understand how long it would take for a
supportive marketplace to
arise. Now, I'd say is an even better time to do it. If you can spend
a year, starting right
now, you may have an advantage due to a weak marketplace and the
continuing growth in
online audience demand. The market may be much stronger in a year
when you are ready
to monetize. If you can't do that, join another team who can.

#2 Find the talent, dont assume you are the talent. This may be the
biggest problem the
independents suffer from. If you think you are really good on camera,
there is probably
someone who could do the job better. If you think you are a great
story teller and that
tons of people will enjoy your writing, you might be fooling
yourself. Build a creative team
of people who you think are better than you.

#3 Start an iTunes/Hulu/Joost competitor. We know you dont need any
overhead. A few
talented programmers and UI developers should find a very open space.
I remember
before iTunes came out with their podcasting client, Rocketboom was
getting slammed by
literally 1000's of new and experimental audio and video distribution
aggregators, most of
which quickly faded away post-iTunes. It seems like there is room
again for a new spirit
and a better interface.

#4 Be careful about the conversations you have: dont let this
separation become more
defined. Bring it all together in a way that people understand this
is about democracy,
choice and personalized content. This is where conferences hurt us if
no one is there to
discuss this. This is where Hulu viewers hurt us because they are
closing their doors on
things outside of their comfort zone. It starts with the lingo from
us, then the bloggers,
then the journalists, then the first adopters and then it becomes
stuck everywhere else.
Speak up before it's too late!