Personaly I don't think you have to sacrifice one for the other....I
have a couple of long term projects that I want to do and one I am
getting ready to start, but I think I can always find some time to
post a little snippett here and there....

I think far to often, we as artists feel like everything we do has to
be worthy of the time we put into it...or I guess I should say our
percieved notion of what is "worthy" or "good"....

It's a struggle I had often....do I only do a few good pieces or a
bunch of "crap"....at the end of the day, for me....I do something
when the mood strikes me, whatever that may be....and I will continue
to work on bigger projects as time allows...

As I have said....they are all part of the story that I am telling....

But what works for me is potato's to someone else....  :-)

Heath
http://heathparks.com/blog1

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rup...@...> wrote:

> [...]
> months, everybody thinks you've given up or died.  People actually
> delete their whole blogs and back catalogue because they're
> frustrated that they haven't published anything for a few months,
and
> they think they're out of the game.  It's insane.
>
> As a result, a lot of the films made and published online don't
feel
> like they've had lots of time put into them.  That doesn't
> necessarily make them weaker - there's a lot of great stuff that
> comes from people working quickly or observing things in the
moment.
> But I notice this tendency to ephemerality everywhere.  Compared
> work published in other media or shown in exhibitions, there's
less
> work online that's obviously had a lot of time and thought and
> dedication poured into it, that has the self-confidence to say "I
> deserve all the time spent on me"  - and when you see something
that
> has, it often stands out.
>
> I'm spending a year working on one project, now - because I'd
rather
> aggregate my limited spare time in pursuit of doing one project
that
> excites me than I would spend one evening a week hurriedly trying
> publish several personal videoblog posts that I don't care so much
> about but which I'm doing because I feel I should.  I don't know
if
> it'll end up being any good - that's the risk - but it's the way I
> want to use my 'spare time' this year, and at the end of it I hope
> I'll feel like it's been worth it.
>
> That said, until now I haven't had a larger project I wanted to
work
> on, and it's been great to be able to use my blog to keep
practicing
> and working regularly and experimenting with lots of different
things
> - and had I not done that, I wouldn't now be doing this other thing.
>
> Rupert
> http://twittervlog.tv
>
> On 16-Feb-09, at 7:52 AM, Brook Hinton wrote:
>
> The time necessary to create significant/valuable/meaningful long
> form work,
> and in many cases even short form work, is why, for better or
worse,
> money
> is often necessarily part of the sustainability equation for media
> artists
> and documentarians even in this age of ultra low cost tools and diy
> distribution via the web.
> I don't think Chris Marker made "Sans Soleil" in his "spare time",
and I
> don't think he could now even with an HV30, Final Cut Pro, ultra
high
> speed
> broadband, and a waiting audience on Vimeo.
>
> (Which makes it all the more inspiring to see people like Jay and
Ryanne