Found this.

Apparently, the deinterlace function when exporting in iMovie09 doesnt work.

http://www.macworld.com/article/139124/2009/03/export720pimovie09.html

They've written a work around there.

I hate iMovie09. Hated iMovie08. Just another reason not to use it. If you
don't have Final
Cut Pro, Final Cut Express is far superior to iMovie.

David
http://www.davidhowellstudios.com