--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.ded...@...> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Michael Verdi <michaelve...@...> wrote:
> > I had a chance to grab the new firefox beta today and play with ogg
> > video. I made a screencast about it here:
> > http://reports.graymattergravy.com/2009/03/16/html-5-ogg/
>
> We put up a page of Ogg/Theora videos recently using the <video> tag.
> http://transparencycamp.org/videos
> If you watch using Firefox 3.1....the Ogg plays right in the page.
>
> With the updated Ogg codec they are putting out soon, it's going to be
> able to handle HD just fine.
>
> Jay
This all got me curious enough to download FF 3.1.  First, I liked the
simplicity of the Transparency Camp website and the organization of the videos.

But I had problems with buffering/stuttering even though I was on a high speed
DSL at over 1 mBs. I could not hold sync.  Does the player put a load on the
computer?  I am using a Mac on 10.4 with a DP 1 gig G4 machine.    Flash and
Quicktime play fine on the same system.

Other questions.  What is the advantage of Ogg for us content creators who are
not large enough by any means to have to worry about licensing fees? I'm all
for open system software, but H.264 and FLASH are pretty close with a modest
purchase cost. I liked how simple the code was, but is that just the new HTML 5
in FF or Ogg?

But thanks for putting the site up like that so we could try it out!

Stan Hirson
http://PinePlainsViews.com