I've always assumed that none of them will really end up with proper
browsers - just content portals full of pre-selected channels from
commercial partners.
This is how we will all get shut out.

 From the article:

"Philips is calling its internet service Net-TV. Devices in the 9000
series work with WLAN, while those in the 8000 series and the
widescreen 21:9 models work with LAN connections. Unlike other
manufacturers, Philips allows the internet information to take up the
entire screen.

The user gets started by navigating to the Net-TV home page. Philips
has established partnerships with content providers willing to adapt
their content for the TV screen. In Germany this includes major web
sites like tagesschau.de, bild.de, kicker.de and YouTube as well as
MyAlbum as a photo archive. It's also possible to enter in internet
addresses directly, although Net-TV is unable to work with either Java
or Flash.

At Panasonic the internet mode is called Viera Cast and involves
little program windows surrounding a reduced-sized TV image. These
"widgets" show the weather, stock prices from Bloomberg TV, latest
headlines and videos television stations as well as clips from
YouTube. Viera Cast is slated to be integrated into the V 10, G 15 and
Z 1 devices.

Samsung has dubbed its programme inter...@tv. It provides only one
program window next to the TV image. That can be YouTube clips, as
well as headlines or weather reports delivered from Yahoo. The photos
section is provided via the Flickr service."