This is a great discussion, and this list is pretty spot on from my
perspective. At one point or another each one of these points has stopped me
from following through on an idea. I think it comes down to credibility,
perceived or real. I remember from my student filmmaking days that approaching
a propietor about using their location to shoot in was often received with a
"who the fuck are you small fry" mentality. We got blown off more times than I
care to remember.

While 'true' (for want of a better word) documentarians like Ken Burns or
Robert Greenwald may be a far cry from a Michael Bay type of filmmaker, they
still carry that heavy credibility with them. They also probably have PR and
agents that do that type of dirty work for them. For little independent artists
(videobloggers) I think it is not only intimidating to try and carry or fake
that type of credibility, but the reality is few will have the proper approach
to following through on something large scale.

As someone trying to put together a local motorcycle lifestyle show around
Orange County, I've found its hard to approach local dealerships and businesses
to get any kind of involvement. I guess it comes down to exposure. Why would
they be interested in supporting my venture if I can't prove I have a
widespread reach. If a nationally recognised filmmaker were to be in my shoes
I'm sure their response would be different. I can see this obstacle being
typical for many videobloggers and documantarians.

But what to do about it? What is the flipside of each of the points on that
list I wonder?

-adam