Oh wise list.

I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
talks).  I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.

I guess if no magic dSLR is out there with a mic port, for under 2K with a
tripod I'll go Canon Vixia with a SD Powershot still...

Thoughts?

Thank you.

--
~ Caleb Clark
- Program Director, Marlboro College Graduate School: