On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <cale...@well.com> wrote:

> Oh wise list.
>
> I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
> web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
> talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
> camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
> type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
> prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
> file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
> crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
> HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
> too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.

I got an Xacti HD-1010 that cost me $400 a few months back, The
HD-2000 is the latest model, that's around $500 I think.
Very nice cam that gives great results for the money. Yes, it has an
external mic port and audio input level adjust (course low/mid/high
type thing).
No on-screen signal level meter though, but it has a headphone port
that makes up for that (I don't use it though)
Hot shoe attachment for external mic is handy.
Great range of shooting options for size/quality.
Nice big bright fast lens, I doubt you'll get better quality optics on
any sub $1000 camcorder.
The MP4's it outputs load directly into my Ulead VideoStudio package
no problems.
The autofocus can be a bit touchy with moving objects.
The head/face tracking mode works.
Works well in low light indoors environments.
Forget all the talk about the UI being crap, it it perfectly fine and
understandable, works more like a still camera and not like a
camcorder, that's why people get confused with it. And the joystick
thing works just fine. It also comes an IR remote that also operates
the menus. I expect the worst after the reviews, but I've had no
problems with it at all.

Forget internal LED lights, they are all but useless, little more than
a gimmick. If you need external lighting, get good quality external
lighting and attach to the hot-shoe.

See my blog for examples:
http://www.eevblog.com

Dave.