Sorry, I edited out the line from mine where I said that I thought
"the masses" still don't really want a phone that does video.   Most
people I know don't want a complicated phone.  They make do stills
from their phone because it's convenient, but view video differently -
they want good quality, and they don't trust phone video for that
(quite rightly, so far).

And a Nokia phone that costs many hundreds of pounds/dollars isn't
attractive to them.  iPhone obviously attracts some people - but those
people generally still want a good video camera as well that shoots HD.

For years, I've been trying to persuade people to use the video
function on their stills cameras instead of buying a separate
camcorder - but they still go out and spend a couple of hundred on a
crappy quality Sony or Panasonic.

Now that HD is all the rage, they're more likely to buy separate
devices.  That's why I say, a good quality small flat two-in-one
camera and camcorder is attractive.

I'm sure in time there'll be expensive smartphones that shoot HD, but
my guess is that "the masses" will still want a separate HD video and
photo device as well.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 12 Jan 2010, at 06:37, David Jones wrote:

> I think you missed my point on that one a tad. "the masses" do not
> want to carry a second device at all, be it a still camera, video
> camera, or MP3 player/iPod, everything is and will ultimately converge
> to the mobile phone.
>
> But yes, I agree, your points are valid.
>
> Dave.
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Rupert Howe <rup...@twittervlog.tv>
> wrote:
> > True.  But that's the very reason I see more and more people with
> > Flips and Kodaks.  They like the idea of this phone-like flat object
> > to slip in the pocket, that does both photos and HD video.
> >
> > They don't want separate chunky video camera and stills camera, if
> > they can have both in one.
> >
> > Up til now, people have assumed all-in-one devices are sub-
> standard -
> > eg that the video on a Canon pocket stills camera can't be any
> good -
> > when actually, it's probably brighter and clearer than their $400
> > video camera.
> >
> > Hard for most people to choose between Flip and Kodak, though.  The
> > extra features like mic in don't mean much to them.
> >
> > Rupert
> > http://twittervlog.tv
> >

> > On 12 Jan 2010, at 03:19, David Jones wrote:

> $150, and
> hey it
> >>
> >> "the masses" don't want to carry around yet another device!
> >>
> >> Dave.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: