I wouldn't try to avoid using the location if it's dark and ugly.  The
combo of fluorescent ceiling lights and your studio lights may not be
very useful for a dark room full of people trying to do a workshop
(where your lighting needs are secondary).  Sounds quite stressful and
ultimately probably quite unattractive and unusable.  If it's a 1-2
minute film, you're probably not going to get a lot of meaningful
content from the workshop anyway, and these kind of things always look
a bit odd.

So think around it: how can you explain the workshops without showing
them?  Can you get the guy to talk about what he does in little
snippets, and ask him to get former participants to give testimonials
to camera which you can intercut.  If you really need to shoot him
doing his thing, cheat and film just him speaking in a nicer brighter
location.  Get them outside where possible.  Think about rigging up a
white background (sheet or paper) to do his presentation against.

As far as what to film, personally I would get fairly close up to
faces - shooting zoomed in (on a long lens) can give a nice effect,
but don't include the actual zooming process in your edit, as zooms
make cheap videos look cheaper.

Other details might be good for cutaways if you really need to show a
long piece from start to finish - but you're probably much better just
sticking to quick cuts.  To many cutaways, filler shots and random
details can be distracting and unhelpful.  Simplicity is powerful!

There are a lot of great examples of this kind of thing at http://turnhere.com
  - and if you sign up with Turn Here, you might get some work out of
it!

The single most important thing to remember is to get good sound - do
not use your camera mic.  Particularly if you have to film the
workshop.  Bad, wild camera mic sound makes all video - however well
shot - look cheap and bad.   Get him to wear a lapel mic with a long
cable - or, if it's not possible in the venue to film him with a mic
attached to your camera, use a separate digital recorder and then sync
up sound and picture in the edit.

Good luck!

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv