From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Rosen, Rhonda
J.
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 2:24 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] anyone have this problem?

We licensed many of the Alexander Street Press video collections a year
or so ago.  They are lovely and beautiful.  However, we have had a
problem with our proxy server and remote access.

They are perfect if the user is on campus, but we cannot get off-campus
access.  Our IT people have looked into it, as has Alexander Street
Press.  Somewhere along the IPS provider route, we hit a snag and nobody
seems to be able to fix it.  The story I'm being given is that the
provider  somewhere in the country, is unable to fix it, unreachable,
untouchable or something....

According to memos I received:

Using the traceroute utility, which shows the communication "hops" that
data makes over the Internet between WAM (Web Access Management) and the
Alexander Street servers, we can see that communication between these
servers gets stopped at a midway-point. This unscheduled stop is at a
server hosted by a company called Verio. Bypassing WAM, this same Verio
server passes the data right along.

LMU's ITS Department has been very helpful. They tried to contact Verio
about this, but they warned me that we might never hear back. So far,
that has been true: no response from Verio.

It seems that many of you have ASP and are happily streaming away - has
anyone had this problem, or know anything about this company?  I'm
really frustrated as faculty would like to embed clips in their syllabi,
BB, or our electronic reserves and as it now stands their students have
to call and get a username and password to access it if off-campus,
which is really a pain....

Rhonda

Rhonda Rosen| Head, Media & Access Services
William H. Hannon Library | Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive, MS 8200 | Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
rro...@lmu.edu| 310/338-4584|
http://library.lmu.edu