At the risk of extending this firestorm further, I did not read anything
at all in Chuck's response that suggested advising anyone to do anything
illegal.  It is indeed up to the organization's management to decide for
the organization what risks they are willing to take. It is our
responsibility to inform and educate, and to make our position known.
But in a democratic society isn't it also our responsibility to stand up
and be counted when we think something is wrong?  That's what our kids
did (if even inadvertently and perhaps misguidedly, if that's a word...)
to get the music industry to change.

And blame the professors?  OK, sometimes, but come on - how is it their
job to keep up with this mess, when even we who focus on it are often
confused!? They are trying to reach their students in relevant ways.
Professors with whom I discuss this issue - universally - don't like it,
but they hear it and understand what I say whether they agree or not.
Put it in the context of that book they published and they are even more
understanding.

Allowing films to be shown in their entirety in a face-to-face
classroom, but not to students in the same class via a closed
password-protected network when registered is just not right.
Economically motivated, business oriented, protective of revenue
streams, but not right.  Those students - some of whom paid MORE for
online access - are entitled to the exact same education that those who
sit in the classroom are entitled to.

Two more cents...jen

Jennifer Foster

Media Librarian

The Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library

361.570.4195

fost...@uhv.edu

http://vcuhvlibrary.uhv.edu