From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Beth Traylor
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:11 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] campus support for VHS

Hello All,

We just found out through an article published in our campus paper that
our campus equipment unit will no longer be supporting VHS in the
classrooms because it is too hard to fix the VHS decks and because "DVD
equipment is easier to use than tape decks; DVDs are more portable; they

are more reliable etc.".

They also advertised in that same article that they will convert all VHS

tapes that faculty use to DVD.
They never mentioned anything about copyright - just that "because its
for educational use then its ok to do the conversion (for a price)." As
far as I can tell they never talked to campus legal either.

Needless to say we were surprised (we have over 5000 VHS tapes in our
Media collection).

Has any other Media unit dealt with this?  I seem to remember this
thread but could not find it in the archives.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please feel free to contact me off the
list too if you would like.

Beth Traylor
Media Librarian
UW-Milwaukee