I sympathize with Beth, because it's the exact situation that we're
going through right now. I'm very new to the library, and apparently
there's a long history with the weeding of our VHS collection. The IT
department made the decision not to service VHS players, and they were
also under the mistaken impression that they could just make DVD
copies of all of the VHS tapes we own. For the past couple of years,
we've been slowly examining the VHS tapes we own (about 3,000) and
finding suitable DVD or streaming media replacements. The process has
been good in some ways, in the sense that we're updating our
collection (some of the VHS tapes are 30 years old) with newer and
more relevant content. Because some of the faculty members raised a
lot of fuss about the library withdrawing these films, we've allowed
them to come to the library and take any withdrawn VHS to add to their
own personal collections. This way they can still show the VHS tapes
if they want. The rest, we plan on selling at the book sale that's
coming up.

Thanks,
Hannah Lee
Harper College Library