Hi Benjamin

Berkeley's answers:

Does your library still order DVD's primarily, or have you
switched to online collections?

Berkeley collects video materials based on the short- and long-term value
of these resources to teaching and scholarship.  We license materials for
online delivery where these primary goals can be best met by streaming
(and when the audience size justifies it).    In other words, we select
content first and only then do we determine the best mode of delivery.  We
have about 30K DVDs and 100 streamed titles, so you can do the math.

Have you increased, decreased, or held steady your expenditures on videos?

The overall library budget has decreased over the past few years, media
included.  In general, though, the video/media budget have been fairly
stable.

Have you used any unorthodox methods for delivering video content to your
users, such as Netflix?

No.  We only acquire stuff--either in physical or online form--that can be
inventoried and cataloged.  I have a major problem with the library
underwriting the purchase of ephemera...

gary

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> Our library is in the process of reviewing its policy for its video
> collection. We are interested in finding out how other academic
> libraries are dealing with this rapidly-changing area.
>

> Specifically, I am interested in the following:
>

> *     Does your library still order DVD's primarily, or have you
> switched to online collections?
> *     Have you increased, decreased, or held steady your expenditures
> on videos?
> *     Have you used any unorthodox methods for delivering video
> content to your users, such as Netflix?
>

> Any feedback you can give on questions such as these would be greatly
> appreciated.
>

> Benjamin Turner
>
> Assistant Professor, Instructional Services
>
> St. John's University Libraries
>
> turn...@stjohns.edu
>
> 718.990.5562

Director