From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jing Shi
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:10 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Video Collections for Academic Libraries

Our library is intended to have the streaming media service. Since this
service is new to me, I will have many questions to ask.  I am in charge
of the access service area, and the following questions that I need to
know right now:

1. What are the policy and procedures of the streaming media service?
Can you send me them or the link.  We stream 2 types of collections,
public domain videos and licensed commercial videos.  We use a statewide
consortium portal for streaming:  njvid.net  Those titles which are
licensed are streaming only to the institution that holds the license
(in many cases it's multiple institutions).

2. What range of pricing have you encountered for the permissions for
streaming? They are really all over the place.  I'd suggesting coming to
the National Media Market and the pre meeting workshop in which we'll
discuss pricing models and are working on developing a clearinghouse so
that we can get a better picture of who is doing what.

3. What should we look for with the license permission process? We
prefer perpetual rights.  As others have stated we feel it's not right
to pay for the same content over and over.  Most videos have a shelf
life and after the first few years are not used that much.  Just because
it's streamed, it will not necessarily be used any more heavily.

4. What determines how long something can be streamed? License, faculty
need, cost, etc.  If there is a particular faculty need and I can't get
perpetual rights, I'll license for a year or so depending on the faculty
member's need.  Otherwise, perpetual.  I treat the videos as I do a
physical copy.  We purchase for the life of the video.

5. What are the duties of the librarian and reserve clerk?  PR is needed
to inform faculty and students of the videos.  They are all listed in
our OPAC and require authentication.  Our cataloguer does the Marc
records and either we ingest on our local server or we send out to our
statewide network where the titles are ingested or downloaded, depending
on the case.  There are no special

6. What are your top 5 tips for getting started and for getting teaching
faculty buy-in? We already have cooperation from the
1.  See if there is a need (such as online courses that need content)
2. Base your selections on meeting that immediate need and that will be
your starting point.
3.  Once successful, you can expand.
4.  publicize, publicize, publicize.....that's important.
5. Ensure you have enough bandwidth and if you don't have a streaming
server, start networking with your sister institutions in the state and
work together for a plan.  If you don't have the facilities, then
consider some of the distributors who offering streaming portals.

Thank you so much for your valuable time and your expertise.

Jing

Jing Shi
Access Services Librarian
Parkland College Library