From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Stanton, Kim
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:41 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Swank Digital Campus

Hi all,

I think we're about to license our first streaming film through Swank Digital
Campus.  The usage scenario is so different from what I normally deal with.
Typically, my library licenses individual films from distributers for use by
all current student & faculty, for a term ranging from 3 years to perpetuity
and we stream the content from a library-run server and management system. The
Swank content would be license for 1 semester,  would only be accessible to a
specific class and would be hosted off-site.

I'm trying to figure out what my library's role should be in the Swank
scenario.  If you've used Swank Digital Campus at your institution (or deal
with other short term/ course specific digital rights), could you tell me how
this was handled.

*         Who is responsible for the transaction  - i.e  whose name is on the
contract/ invoice? The Library, the academic department,  the faculty member,
another campus group?  -- We (the Library) are handling this.  The
licensing/invoicing is coordinated by me (with assistance from our Electronic
Resources Coordinator), and the actual scheduling of the specific titles is
handled by one staff person (who until recently was the sole point person for
media reserves).

*         Who directly pays for the content? - As I mentioned, right now the
content is paid for by funds provided through our Student Technology Fee.  This
service is part of a larger effort to increase access to online video content,
although 95% of what we have been adding is in perpetuity.

*         If both of the above were handled by the library, was there any
resistance to this sort of short term, limited access being the library's
responsibility?  --Well, it does add an additional layer to our already
overtaxed reserve processes.  And, it has required some additional
communication with faculty regarding the guidelines.  It also requires faculty
to think a bit differently regarding the timeframe these titles are being
placed on "reserve".  There is more specificity required in order for the
rotation of titles to work as effectively as possible.  We try to provide
approximately different 25 titles each month, but sometimes titles stay
available longer.  There are a couple of ways to set up the service depending
upon what your institution needs. The service has worked great for many
faculty, and for a few it ended up not providing what they needed.  No one here
in the Library has shown any resistance to the added responsibility, since the
only ones really effected are the two of us handling the service on this end.

*         Is there another department on your campus that more directly
supports development and resources for online courses?   What was their
involvement?   --  Separate from the Swank service, when it comes to online
video content that the Library wants to acquire for permanent or long-term
access, we pretty much have had to handle the majority of processes ourselves,
which can at times include (in addition to handling the licensing/invoicing
processes) extracting the content from DVDs, encoding that content (or encoding
MPEG4 files provided by vendors), uploading the content to a secure on-site
server, and performing all the other typical stuff like cataloging, etc.
Again, some of this is being funded by the student technology fees, but that
funding is finite (hence the focus on permanent additions to the collections).
When these funds end, we'll have to see.  In all honesty, we did originally
plan to have more support from Instructional Technology, but things changed
very early on (but after the Library was committed to move forward developing
this collection utilizing these funds).  I will admit that what we are doing
right now cannot be maintained as is, and we will have to adjust accordingly in
the very near future.

Thanks!

Kim Stanton
Head, Media Library