Hi Kim,

I guess I disagree with Gary. Short term access to resources for classes
is something we've provided for forever in Reserve Services here at the
University of Connecticut. Historically that was books but now we've
grown to journal articles, full text links to journals and ebooks,
personal copies, and now streaming video and audio.

We've used Swank for a couple of semesters now. They are expensive but
we apply the same criteria to obtaining Swank streams as we do for other
streams.
e.g. when one or more of the following conditions arise: used for more
than one class in more than one semester, used at a regional campus
where students are non-resident, and to support distance learning and
blended classes.

Although nowhere near half of our streams come from Swank, our data
shows that about half of what's put on Reserve are feature films.

In answer to your original questions.
The Library is responsible for the transaction and our name is on the
invoice. We also pay for the stream.
And, no, once explained to them, faculty understand the short term
duration of the access.

There are other departments who help faculty develop online courses but
since our library has so much valuable content which already license and
can be used for online courses (e.g. ejournals, ebooks, newspapers,
images, etc.), the provision of moving image streams is a very natural
addition to content provision.

I might add that it is not just online courses which benefit from
e-whatever. Blended courses and even traditional courses also benefit.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds
Reserve Services Coordinator
University of Connecticut