Hi Amanda

Let me toy with your question a bit.

First of all, let's dispense with the whole issue of image quality.
Unless an institution is going to be storing and pumping huge chunks of
uncompressed video over the the wires (thus almost certainly bringing down
the network), there are limits to the quality of the image you're gonna
get via streaming--no matter which codec you use (see below).  Performance
is another issue (i.e. how well your network can handle a large number of
concurrent users) In my experience, most institutional networks can handle
a reasonable number of concurrent streams of compressed video with no
problem at all.  You test these things out by having a whole bunch of
people log on at one time, both on campus/in-building and off.  Tech wonks
call this stress testing...

The bigger issues, in my view, are ones having to do with the encoding
standard used:  Flash, H264, Windows Media, Quick Time,
java-based...whatev.
You have to make a decision re which of these is going to work best on
your particular network and work best for the largest number of users.
Which of these "standards" (they're really not standards at all) is going
to be around in five years (thus avoiding having to encode the whole
shebang all over again)

By the way, in my experience, students don't really give a two-penny damn
about image quality, in most instances.  These are folks (like my
daughter) who will watch a 90 minute feature film on their iPhones.  The
bigger issue for this crew is ready access at all times.

Gary Handman

> This is a question for libraries that host streaming films, especially
> feature length films, from their own servers. How do you assess the
> performance and quality of streaming video and evaluate viewing
> experience for the students?
>

> Amanda Timolat
>
> Media Librarian
>
> Collection Management