I went to a lecture by David Lean once in the 70s at the SF film festival and he talked about painting a mountain purple for Ryan's Daughter. I was righteously indignant in my politically correct (pre-Bush the 1st leftist meaning) manner, and I was offended by his colonialism. Ironic given the rhetoric of that particular film.

However, last week I watched Ryan's Daughter on my *enormous* 24" CRT tube TELEVISION on Turner and it was a teaser. You could see the beauty of the film within, but it was too damn small. How I longed to see that seascape and mountain on the big screen, in the dark, with magnificent Irish ocean, cliffs and yes, that *&^(*^ purple mountain!!!

Randal Baier

Dennis Doros wrote:

    By the way, in my experience, students don't really give a
    two-penny damn
    about image quality, in most instances.  These are folks (like my
    daughter) who will watch a 90 minute feature film on their
    iPhones.  The
    bigger issue for this crew is ready access at all times.

I usually agree with everything you say about 98% of the time and then you say something I just have to respond to. Yes, it's true that MOST people don't realize it or care when they're watching badly-done video, but that doesn't mean that they don't get a whole lot more when the image is big and gorgeous. There is a physical almost spiritual reaction when you see a great film on a big screen or an original work of art hanging on the wall. (We had both experiences this month and I'm off to Le Giornate del Cinema Muto so I'm very happy.) And I know that most of AV work is dealing with educational films that can (but not always) have a different emphasis on quality of information over beauty of visuals and classrooms that are definitely not the Castro, but one reason the experience of watching films and videos is so devalued by people is that they haven't experienced seeing a Terrence Malick film on a giant screen.

We sent a 35mm print of one of our favorite releases to a theater in Minneapolis that's showing it in a couple weeks. Four of the young theater workers put the film up the very day it arrived to watch it because they couldn't wait to see it on the big screen.
--
Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero