Hi Elizabeth

Well, although I haven't seen the film yet (I will--I'm a HUGE AG fan), I
doubt that it (or ANY feature film) can be said to be effective literary
criticism.  The narrative and cinematic structure of features and their
ultimate goal (box office receipts, always) generally put these films at
odds with real critical analysis.  I think the best that can be said is
that a film like Howl may shed some light on the writing process and the
critical reception of a literary work (but even here, the need to
dramatize and hold audience attention may be at odds with that intent).

In a sense, films like the Spike Jonze's Adaptation, which attempt to use
the act of literary creation as a kind of dramatic trope, are much more
effective works of general literary criticism than biopics such as Howl
(even though the literary work at the core of the film is fictitious)

Documentaries, which use a completely different types of rhetorical
strategy and which have different claim on our attention, may be better
suited to criticism (although I've seen fairly few which pull this off
effectively).

I appreciate Stanley Fish's analysis, but...

Movies will simply never be able to do what sustained, well-reasoned
writing does, and certainly not what effective literary criticism does.
(Hey, this may be a continuation of my anti-Twitter viturperation)

(By the way, film adaptation is a completely different kettle of
typewriters on any number of scores...)

gary

> Dear All,
>
> Stanley Fish opined this morning that HOWL is worth going to see (and
> viewers should definitely buy the book) because it functions as
> literary criticism, even though the common consensus among the critics
> is that it is a mediocre film.
>
> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/literary-criticism-comes-to-the-movies/?hp
>
> How many of you will go see the film or acquire it for your
> collections based on the subject matter alone or does Professor Fish's
> endorsement make it more (or less) appealing? What other films
> 'elevate' literary works to the level of critical theory successfully
> rather than 'just' film adaptations? Is one preferable to the other to
> your communities?
>
> Best,
>
> Elizabeth
>
> Elizabeth Sheldon