The bottom line is, Hannah, it's gonna take test cases to solve this.
There are no existing "legal realities" in this area--only informed
opinion and speculation.

Colleagues and I have been advocating and generally working our brains out
on these issues for years...

Gary

By the way:  the original intent of the copyright law was NOT to make
works more accessible.  The intent (as expressed in the Constitution) was
to encourage intellectual production and creative work by protecting the
rights of copyright holders.  Copyright is and has always been all about
property rights...ergo monetary.   What seems to be at risk these
days--and which must be defended--is fair use...the notion that certain
cultural uses trump these property rights.