I thank Gary for his common sense and I do agree with him.

My view is that having a one-sided conversation where on that side
everything is permitted (and uses photocopies and papers to justify the
entire use of a film -- while ignoring the transferring of copy-protected
formats and other legal judgements that point in another direction than
their conclusions) is not only questionable, but perhaps counterproductive.
And of course, the studios and distributors are just as stubborn -- though
everything I've learned about copyright law does point to increased benefits
for copyright holders. That might be wrong, but that doesn't make the
Library of Copyright Alliance's stance more right. In fact, just the
opposite. What the non-profits have going for them right now is that most of
what is happening is either under the radar or ignored by the copyright
holders as to penny ante to worry about -- so you have perhaps more rights
than ever before. When was the last time FBI agents raided campuses for
illegal materials? However, these papers might force the copyright holders'
hands to be more proactive.

It would be much more useful if the LCA invited liberal minded participants
from the distribution side to come up with compromises that can work in the
future. Everybody is waiting for legal decisions but to be honest, legal
decisions can muddy up the water even more. That means more legal costs than
true benefits for either side.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros