Hi Jared,

We have about 3,000 (or 20%) of our DVDs in locked cases in an open "browsing"
collection. It's located in our Media Center, so it's easy to help people find
items if they can't locate them on their own. These titles--Criterion, Warner,
20th Century Fox, Dreamworks, etc.,--fly off the shelves. We are planning to
move more out there, partially due to lack of space in our closed collection.
Theft has not been an issue: missing rate for these titles is equal to or less
than our closed collection. We do circulate our media for 7 days to UW
faculty/students/staff, our NW Summit partners, and via ILL.

A note about circulating vs. non-circulating: as it's our primary mission to
support research and teaching at UW, we strongly encourage faculty to turn in
reserve lists early and schedule their film screenings as soon as they can.
Usually it takes one instance of "their" film being checked out for them to get
it. We also have a pretty aggressive overdue fines regime, so that helps
persuade everyone to get things turned in on time or renew (if not on hold for
someone else).

I do think some films should be kept in closed stacks: e.g, expensive docs,
rare and unique items, films with restrictive licensing issues. Some of our
unpublished materials--for example
http://lib.washington.edu/media/cdc.html--are on permanent reserve/library use
only.

All in all, the solution one comes up with needs to be customized to fit the
particulars of the collection, the mission of the institution, and the needs of
the community.

Good luck!

John
John Vallier