Hi Jared,

A few years, ago all of our media was interfiled with books (4 campuses, 16
thousand media items). We (other librarians and myself) were able to convince
the admins that separate/divided circulating collections were better.  Our data
clearly suggest that a separated circulating collections for books and DVD's
serve to enforce higher circulation.  Currently, our media circs are almost 23%
of our overall checkouts.  When they interfiled they were as low as 15%.

Regarding the open versus closed question, whenever I'm challenged about our
circulation policy for media (one week loans), I point out that our teaching
faculty requests represent only about 40% of the requests that I get.  The rest
of the selections come from librarians and me.  When we had closed stacks,
selections that came from librarians almost never were used in the classroom or
even viewed in the library.

Now, if a teaching faculty requests an item, we inform that faculty member when
the item has arrived, and tell them they must fill out a reserve form for the
item to be put in closed stacks.  A lot of the time, the faculty member doesn't
fill out the form and the media goes into circulation.  It's obviously not a
perfect system, but we have a policy and a process to point to when faculty
complain.  And though we lose a lot of videos, for our student population
(community college students), I feel that open stacks/one week loans more
viably supports student access.

Finally, simply on an anecdotal note, I found that open stacks encourage more
film requests from the students.  When I fulfill a faculty request, the
response is usually, "Thanks."  When I fulfill a student request, it's like,
"You're amazing."  I don't question my librarian self worth in moments like
those:)

Mary.

Mary Hanlin
Media Collection Development Librarian