Hello everyone,
I have probably addressed this issue on this listserve ad nauseum, but It's my
birthday today and feel entitled to be, well just entitled.
:)

So, our ITS department have begun digitizing videos, burning dvds for faculty
upon request.  We have made it clear to them that they are not allowed to do
this with library owned items, as we would want to make sure the VHS tape was
truly not available, contact copyright holders, blah, blah blah. - that is my
job.....

1)do you digitize a whole video/burn a dvd to a duplicate if the item is a
legitimately purchased personal copy owned by the faculty?
2)  Does it matter why they want a copy?  If they want it for instructional
use, do you want to be notified so that you can purchase a DVD copy for your
library?
3) I know some of you make clips for faculty from your collection- if you are
NOT the dept. doing it, are you notified that Prof. X has made a clip from one
of your films and put it on a coursepage?   Or, do you not  keep track/is there
a reason to keep track of who's digitizing what?

Just curious.  I think I'm feeling a little disconnected as it is not the
library who is in control of making copies.
Rhonda

Rhonda Rosen| Head, Media & Access Services
William H. Hannon Library | Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive, MS 8200 | Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
rhonda.ro...@lmu.edu| 310/338-4584|
http://library.lmu.edu<http://library.lmu.edu/>
 "You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people
sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing
wild animals as librarians."
--Monty Python