Beyond the whole idea that faculty and others claim EVERY VHS copy is about
to disintegrate regardless of the truth because they don't want to bothered
showing something on VHS, the question of "Fair Market' price is another one
of those that faculty in particular and budget folks are not likely to
adhere to. Well they are illegally transferring it in this case anyway so
they are not likely to do anything else right.

Anyway as you know most "educational" films are at a totally different price
level, instead of the $19.95 special on Amazon they usually cost a few
hundred bucks. Now many companies have made the same titles a library paid
say $295 for on VHS  ten years ago available on DVD and the price is...$295.
How much  you want to bet some one in accounting will decide that is just
not "fair".  I have been working with the director Anne Aghion who made a
series of films on the aftermath of the genocide in Rwanda. There are 4
titles all together and first 3 were released on video for roughly $400
each.  A fair number of libraries have them. Now you can get them on DVD and
there is actually a decent discount if you already bought it on VHS ( $250
Vs $405), but again I have zero faith that the same institutions making
illegal copies, streaming illegally are going to actual pay what they
should. As you know this is the general pricing for specialized films which
are not available in the retail market, but that does not mean schools will
be willing to buy them legally.

I realize a lot of people on this list are caught between faculty, IT and
budget people who basically want it easy and cheap and librarians who
actually believe in the rights of filmmakers. I am curious how many of you
think that if a court actually rules it is illegal to stream or copy a film
without the permission of the rights holder, your institution would accept
it?

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)