Actually the can do this IF they were making all sales DIRECTLY from their
web site or office. An owner can set up whatever rules they want and enforce
it by contract. However I believe Zipporah does sell on Amazon and other
sites. Also in order to make a tiered pricing system work, it would have to
include a check out function that clearly detailed the rights and uses and
had a  "I agree to these terms" button. That would be an enforceable
contract. Again this only works if the distributor/filmmaker has absolute
control over all sales

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Ruede, Laura <l.ru...@tcu.edu> wrote:

> Here’s more detail.  This is what they display along with the film
> information:
>

> http://www.zipporah.com/films/5
>

> *Purchase Prices*
>
> *Educational*
>
> *includes public performance rights*
>
> DVD - $400.00 <http://www.zipporah.com/films/purchase/ballet--dvd>
>

> *High Schools & Volunteer Organizations*
>
> *includes public performance rights*
> DVD - $200.00 <http://www.zipporah.com/films/purchase/ballet--k12>
>

> *Individuals*
>
> DVD - $29.95 <http://www.zipporah.com/films/purchase/ballet--home>
>
> 16MM Rentals <http://www.zipporah.com/orders#rentals>
>

> This particular film by Frederick Wiseman – the one I am buying a personal
> copy of – isn’t  for sale via Amazon, but another, more recent one by
> Wiseman is.  I guess I’m unclear as to whether the filmmaker can insist on
> libraries purchasing performance rights if they only sell the film in
> question on their own websites (as opposed to Amazon) and specify
> institutional or individual use.
>

> Laura J. Ruede, MLS
>
> Assistant Music/Media Librarian; Van Cliburn Archivist
>
> Library Liaison to the School for Classical and Contemporary Dance
>
> Mary Couts Burnett Library
>
> Texas Christian University

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant