I've been exploring what latitude I have here at my institution to include
films on DVD in our collection in a film series on world cities.  The aim of my
series would be to expose students to realms they have yet to imagine (much
less experience) and get them thinking and talking about their filmic
experience in an enlightening, horizon-expanding way. Which is where my
recently developed interest in PPRs comes into it: if my proposed series is not
shown in a scheduled class as part of a scheduled course, viewed only by
students registered in that course, can I show a film at all? My understanding
at this point is that the answer is "No."

Well then, does a so-called 'institutional license' or 'institutional price'
convey the right to include a film (by default, a documentary) in a free,
educational, on-campus film series? I'm assuming this depends upon the terms of
said license-unless this caveat amounts to allowing vendor 'licensing' to
constrain the right to use material for educational purposes. Is 'fair use'
legally bounded by an educational institution's course catalog?

So I've been trying to understand the where/when/how of PPR within the academic
environment. (The 'given' in all this is that university counsels are quite
conservative in anything related to Fair Use. No surprise.)

Ideally, my series would contain theatrical release films as well as
documentaries. But the more I learn, the more 'ideal' turns into 'naïve'...

Kathy Edwards
Art & Architecture Reference & Collection Development Librarian
Emery A. Gunnin Architecture Library
112 Lee Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634