I hate to say this but PPR is whatever the distributor who sold it to  you
said it was. Copyright law is VERY clear, you have no right to show a film
to an audience outside a class without an agreement/license with the rights
holder. Over the years companies selling mainly non fiction films
traditionally used in classes did offer
PPR rights with the sales. Frankly few of these films ever ended being used
for public shows and the majority of them really did not have much of a
general audience. To be fair there were films that might indeed have value
for a film series, but honestly not most of them. To make matters more
complicated companies often place a restriction of 50 people to be covered
under a PPR showing which I find pretty silly, but legally they can do it
(how they would enforce it is another matter).

As for the type of films you would actually want to show in a series,
relatively few of them can in fact be BOUGHT with PPR, most would have to be
licensed specifically for the series. There are indeed a number of companies
( Milestone, New Yorker, Kino, Icarus) that sell feature films with PPR
rights, most titles are licensed by larger places ( mainly Swank &
Criterion) and they can only "rent" the right to show the film not show it.

Honestly this issue is not as muddled as some copyright issues that come up
here. It is pretty basic, if you want to do a public film series you have to
pay for it the same way you would pay for a speaker, a musical performance
or the rights to a play. If you scrounged through your current collection
you could probably find enough titles you bought with PPR to make a series,
but I suspect nearly all of them would be non fiction titles you paid a
pretty high price for in the first place. It is most unlikely you would have
any fiction feature theatrical release films that you had purchased with
PPR.

I don't think it unreasonable that you should try to do a film series but to
expect to do one for free is not exactly reasonable. I think you will find
smaller companies in particular willing to  let you show their films at a
low price depending on the circumstances, but again not for free.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)