Yes indeed, it means hurricane in other slavic languages as well. I wonder what the other films were.
Oksana

At 04:55 PM 20/09/2011, you wrote:
Sounds like John Ford's The Hurrican (Uragan means Hurrican in Czech).
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurricane_%281937_film%29>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurricane_%281937_film%29

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Brewer, Michael <<mailto:brew...@u.library.arizona.edu>brew...@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote:
Can anyone help?
mb

Michael Brewer
Team Leader for Instructional Services
University of Arizona Libraries
<mailto:brew...@u.library.arizona.edu>brew...@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Prokhorov [mailto:axp...@wm.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:08 PM
To: <mailto:slavci...@lists.wm.edu>slavci...@lists.wm.edu
Subject: [slavcin-l] Help in identifying a film

I am working with a collection of labor camp correspondence (the letter in question dates to 1944) in which an inmate reports seeing an American film titled "Uragan" in the Soviet labor camp in which he is being held. He says that the plot of the film centers on a prisoner who escapes from hard labor and returns to the wife he has not seen in 8 years. During their separation, the wife has had a child.

I have poked around some online, but I cannot seem to find anything from the
right period that looks like a likely match. Any suggestions for how best to
proceed would be very welcome.    If at all possible, I would like to identify
the film in question.  The letters mention screenings of other American films
in the camp, including some made as late as 1941.   Thanks in advance for any
advice or help you can provide.   Best wishes, Emily

Dr. Emily Johnson
Associate Professor
Dept. of Modern Languages, Literatures & Linguistics University of Oklahoma
780 Van Vleet Oval, Room 206
Norman, OK 73019
phone: <tel:%28405%29%20325-1486>(405) 325-1486
fax: <tel:%28405%29%20325-0103>(405) 325-0103
<mailto:emilydjohn...@ou.edu>emilydjohn...@ou.edu