Gary,
Your own link states that one should NOT contact studios because they
will just say no The framework is shoddy at best. If you really want
to find rights holder you can use LOC for a lot more than stuff past
1978 it just takes more time and possibly money.

As I have told you and others a a major person involved in this
project stated openly at an ALA session that one should NOT try to
contact rights holders. I believe they are far more active in this
project than you. This response involved a 16mm print of French film
that was not especially rare and whose owners could easily have been
unidentified. My guess if you they had been contacted they would have
quoted a rather high price , but heck that is what French Rights
holders do. A wide array of venues in the US do pay them very high
fees to project their films so who decides that if they tell you they
want  500 Euros to make a DVD of their 20 minute short that is not
reasonable? The point is a roomful of librarians were told NOT to try
to contact the rights holder. Your "due diligence " list is
specifically aimed at finding out if a film is available not who owns
it. If the Carnegie folks want to help find out who owns rare films
perhaps they could help pay for a decent copyright researcher? It is
really not that hard to find out who owns the vast majority of films,
IF you want to, but again the point of this project is not to contact
and work with rights holders , it is to find a way to make films that
for whatever reason rights holders have chosen not to release
available without paying them a penny.

>>> ghand...@library.berkeley.edu
>>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>>
>>> "I have always preferred the reflection of life to life itself."
>>> --Francois Truffaut

>>> issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>>> control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
>>> libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve
>>> as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel
>>> of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
>>> producers and distributors.
>>>

>> --
>> Jessica Rosner
>> Media Consultant
>> 224-545-3897 (cell)
>> 212-627-1785 (land line)
>> jessicapros...@gmail.com

>> libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve
>> as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>> producers and distributors.
>>

> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center