Rhonda,

I think the cost of adapting to streaming video will vary greatly
based on availability of creative and skillful technical support and a
deep IT infrastructure. With no added staffing, we've added about
12,000 streaming videos to our inventory and all can be found through
the library catalog. This has been engineered almost entirely by one
e-resources person working from FMG spreadsheets and Alex Street Press
MARC files. He does need to do some maintenance when new items are
added to these collections but his efforts can be measured in hours
rather than the weeks or months it would take to do copy cataloging on
an item-by-item level. We have done some copy-cataloging but it hasn't
altered our workflow too much.

The biggest time consumer is in the digitization of titles we've
licensed from companies that do not stream from their own sites but
even that hasn't necessitated added staffing. We also spent a lot of
effort working with the campus IT folks to get a server up and running
to host those digitized videos. That's probably still out of reach for
many libraries but even the smallest libraries should be considering
at least third-party providers to host licensed videos for streaming.

BTW is it only me or are others seeing a notable drop in the use of
VHS/DVD collections? I'm sensing that iTunes/Netflix/Amazon are really
starting to cut into our business - having noticed that since our
fiscal year began in May 2011 our circulation is off by over 20%
compared to the same period last year. Summer use varies much more
greatly than regular semester use so this could be explainable by
other factors but it's worth scrutinizing.

Chris Lewis

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Rosen, Rhonda J. <rhonda.ro...@lmu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.) I’m interesting in how moving from VHS/DVD to streaming changed your
> media department workflow.  For any of you who have moved this way, have you
> needed more staff or less ?
>

> And
>
> 2) In this time of budget tightening, How has the personnel structure of
> your media department changed?
>
> Rhonda
>

> Rhonda Rosen| Head, Media & Access Services
> William H. Hannon Library | Loyola Marymount University
> One LMU Drive, MS 8200 | Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
> rhonda.ro...@lmu.edu| 310/338-4584|
> http://library.lmu.edu
>
>  "You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people
> sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing
> wild animals as librarians."
> --Monty Python

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian
American University Library
202.885.3257

For latest Media Services News:
Blog: http://aulibmedia.blogspot.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-University-Library-Media-Services/132559226823103
Twitter: http://twitter.com/aulibmedia

Please think twice before printing this e-mail.